Plum Pudding (aka "Figgy Pudding")
A traditional British Holiday treat
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Beef Suet (or unsalted butter)
- 2 cups Bread Crumbs (Fine)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 pint Flour
- 1 cup Seedless Raisins
- 1 cup Dried Currants
- 1 cup Chopped Almonds
- ½ cup Citron (sliced thin)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cloves
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 4 Eggs (well beaten)
- 1 tsp Baking Soda dissolved in 1 Tbsp warm water
- Flour the fruit thoroughly.
- In a large space, mix the eggs, sugar, spices, salt and milk.
- Stir in fruit, nuts, bread crumbs, and suet.
- Stir in dissolved baking soda.
- Add in flour.
- Boil or steam for 4 hours. (Hint: put the batter in a clean coffee can, seal the top with aluminum foil.)
- To flame pudding, warm ¼ cup of brandy. Make a small depression in the top of the pudding and pour brandy over it. Light with a match.