Gingered Cabbage Soup with Pork and Potatoes
The ginger and lemon juice give this soup a bright flavor!
- Large Pot
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (Minced)
- 1 Fresh Ginger (2 inch, peeled, halved length wise, and smashed)
- ¾ lb Green Cabbage (about ¼ head, shredded about 3 cups)
- 1 ½ quart Chicken Broth (Canned, low-sodium) or Homemade Stock
- 1 lb Potatoes (peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 lb Pork Tenderloin (cut into strips)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over moderately low heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the minced ginger and the cabbage and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the broth, potatoes, smashed ginger, and 1 tsp of the salt.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pork and the remaining 1 tsp of salt.
- Cook until the pork is just done, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and parsley.
- Remove the pieces of smashed ginger before serving.