Hot Water Sponge Cake
Can be used for jelly roll, upside down cake, Washington pie... This recipe is from my great-grandmother Hargis
- 9x9" Cake Pan
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Unsifted Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ¾ cup Boiling Water
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Beat eggs until very light and lemon colored.
- Add sugar ¼ at a time and continue beating.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add ½ at a time to egg/sugar mixture.
- When thoroughly mixed, add hot water gradually.
- Add vanilla, mix well.
- Pour into well-greased 9x9" cake pan. It will seem rather thin; will be fin.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes.