Every Christmas we'd make these with Grandma - now you can make them too!
Servings 60 Pieces
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 3 cups Sugar
- ⅔ cup Water
- ½ cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans
- Place egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, line three 15x10x1 inch pans with waxed paper.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar.
- Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 252° (hard-ball stage). Just before the temperature is reached, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly add hot sugar mixture in a thin stream over egg whites, beating constantly and scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat until candy holds its shape, 5-6 minutes (Do not overmix or candy will get stiff and crumbly.) Immediately fold in pecans
- Quickly drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto prepared pans.
- Let stand at room temperature until dry to the touch.
- Store between waxed paper in an airtight container at room temperature.