These jewel-toned squares are softer than store-bought gumdrops, and their terrific taste has a true old-fashioned quality people love. You can't eat just one!
Servings 1 pound
- 3 Envelopes Unflavored Gelatin
- 1 ¼ cups Water (divided)
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- ¼ tsp Peppermint Extract (You can use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons)
- 4 drops Red Food Coloring
- 4 drops Green Food Coloring
- Additional Sugar
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; let stand 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar and remaining 3/4 cup water to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Add gelatin mixture; simmer and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in extract.
- Divide mixture between 2 bowls; tint 1 red and the other green with food coloring.
- Transfer each to a greased 8x4 in loaf pan; cool completely.
- Refrigerate, covered, until firm, about 3 hours.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife; turn onto a sugared cutting board.
- Cut into 1/2 in cubes; roll in additional sugar.
- Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature until all sides are dry, 3-4 hours, turning every hour.