First UU Reopening Info
page last updated 11/16/21
Coming Back Strong, Coming Home Safe
This pages serves to present current information to church members and the First UU community regarding current activities status and procedures. As we are all aware, the situation is often changing as the pandemic recedes and vaccinations (now for gradeschool children) become prevalent. Check back here for documents and updates. We will also communicate through email and other church communications any information we need to get to you.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
First UU Ministers, Staff, and Reopening Task Force
The Coordinating Team (CT) and the Re-opening Task Force look at the Covid Act Now caseload numbers to make decisions about building capacity limits and mitigation measures, which are outlined in the document Larning to Surf the Waves of COVID. You can view the chart and get more information by clicking this link to COVID Act Now.
Please remember that masks are still required in the building.
Current status (updated weekly and posted in Rev. Talk)
- Sunday Worship Service at 10am:
- In-person at First UU
- Masks are required in the building.
- A hearing loop system is active in the Worship Center, Beach Hall and Slowter Lounge.
- Overflow viewing on a large screen available in Beach Hall
- BYO beverage in a spill proof container
- Live stream on the First UU Youtube channel
- In-person at First UU
- In-person Religious Exploration (RE) classes during worship service
- Outdoor classes for children and caregivers are held on the playground (weather permitting) with access to indoor spaces
- Indoor classes require pre-registration. Sign up at an outdoor clas or email Amber Scott, Director of RE.
- Community Gathering Hour:
- In person following the worship service
- BYO coffee/tea/etc
- Zoom coffee hour continues for online attendees
Gatherings at First UU
- Check the Calendar of Events page for information regarding in-person or online classes and other activities
- Planning a gathering at First UU? Reserve a space by emailing Marian Garcia or calling 614-267-4946 (ext 210)
Documents: [pdf format]
- UUA Guidance for Gathering In-Person as the Pandemic Evolves
- Mission/Vision and Pandemic Behavior Covenant
- COVID Attendance Form (contact tracing)
Our Mission and Vision
The vision of First Unitarian Universalist Church of Columbus is to transform and heal ourselves and our world through reason and love.
With love at the center, the mission of this church is to fulfill its vision by…
Creating community through caring, nurturing, and celebrating
Working for justice through learning, reflecting, and doing
Engaging diversity through welcoming, listening, and empowering
Pandemic Behavior Covenant
First Unitarian Universalist Church of Columbus is continuously striving to be an inclusive community by affirming and embracing our differences. There are cases, however, where cherishing the safety and health of the congregation must be given priority over the privileges of an individual. The COVID-19 pandemic is most certainly one of those cases. The central theme of this covenant revolves around respect for ourselves, for others, and for the spaces we occupy together.
In an effort to best ensure that our community remains a safe and healthy one, as the church reopens, I covenant to do the following:
- Attempt to understand the shifts in standards, expectations, and norms necessitated by the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Accept that these shifts are based on science and reliable public health information and are used to drive all decisions;
- Acknowledge that as knowledge is ever-evolving, these standards, expectations, and norms will also evolve;
- Recognize that as a part of the interdependent web taking risks and protective actions affect each and every person with whom I share time and space while at our church;
- Assume the best intentions of other members of the First UU community, remembering we are all humans collectively experiencing unprecedented times.
I therefore covenant to honor my fellow congregants and staff and treat them with respect. If conflict arises that cannot be resolved privately I promise to seek resolution by mediation with use of First UU’s Healthy Relations Policy by notifying a minister.